National Engineer – NO-B (Two Positions)
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Senior Emergency Coordinator, and in close coordination with the Department of Resource Management and Logistics/Procurement Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical assistance to IOM Jordan in general and the Syria Emergency Unit in particular. The incumbent will be responsible for functions outlined in the following sections:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Building layout and overall recommendations:
Provide guidance for potential construction/rehabilitation for any site assigned by IOM, including the installation of prefabs, as required. Guidance should include recommendations for cost-effectiveness and attention to environmental sustainability to the design and quality control responsibilities.
2. Contract documents:
Compile and draft, with due regard to IOM procurement and legal policies, for competitive tender and with sufficient information for contractors to quote, to include the following:
• Layout drawings, scaled building plans, standard details, component schedules for each site;
• Standard specification clauses scheduled for each site;
• Bills of quantity (BOQs) for each site separately (including brands and expected market prices of services, if applicable).
3. Reports from site inspections & monitoring visits should include the following:
• Coordinate and monitor accurate record keeping, regular construction inspections, quality audits and records of actual quantities maintained, drawings are kept up to date and variations and addendums are issued correctly.
• Follow up on technical issues to solve them, in coordination with Procurement and Logistics.
• Responsible for the technical review of any change orders on invoices, and payment applications which may include final payment.
• Provide reports in a timely manner to the senior management and Procurement and Logistics Unit.
4. Work directly on the planning, design, specifications and execution of all phases of construction from initial planning to the final handing over of the site.
5. Follow up on the implementation of recommendations and guidelines from IOM and the Jordanian Engineering/Construction association.
6. Assist towards developing specifications for engineering goods and services in coordination with relevant departments.
7. Participate in Bids Evaluation Committees as assigned by the Chief of Mission, for relevant procurement activities and participate in the tender evaluation process including assessment of bidders’ qualifications, competency and experience and in analysing and reviewing the quoted unit rates against IOM’s cost estimate.
8. Make site inspections and recommend approvals at key stages as agreed with respective contractors; draft instructions as necessary, identify and remedy defective work, issue certificates, submit receipts and bills to IOM if they are not handed directly to IOM, and perform quality control of the desired work.
9. Work closely together with other relevant staff within IOM, particularly the Emergency Unit including: Engineer(s), M&E Officer, Reporting officer, Project Assistants, Logistics Officers, etc.
10. Liaise with relevant government authorities and partners throughout the project under the supervision of the Senior Emergency Coordinator in order to ensure that the project is on track with planned construction activities.
11. Perform other duties as may be required for the successful completion of outputs.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education & Experience
Completed bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution in civil or structural engineering or architecture with 4 years’ experience of relevant professional experience as an engineer/architect including waste management and building services expertise; familiarity with simple sustainable measures (desirable).
Completed Master degree from an accredited academic institution in civil or structural engineering or architecture with 2 years’ experience of relevant professional experience as an engineer/architect
including waste management and building services expertise; familiarity with simple sustainable measures (desirable).
Fluent in English and Arabic - oral and written is required.
Accepts and gives constructive criticism
Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
Monitors own work to correct errors
Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
Actively shares relevant information
Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative:
Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
Persuades others to consider new ideas
Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation:
Convinces others to share resources
Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
Presents goals as shared interests
Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing:
Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
Develops / follows internal control procedures to prevent fraud and mismanagement
Ensures application of institutional financial policies and guidelines
Advocates incorporation of financial considerations into processes and procedures
Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
Contributes to, and follows team objectives
Gives credit where credit is due
Seeks input and feedback from others
Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
Actively supports and implements final group decisions
Takes joint responsibility for team's work
Learns about developments in available technology
Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications plus a cover letter via Akhtaboot website, by 17 May 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement and VN # 79510.
Interested Internal candidates need to submit their application plus a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 May 2018, their updated IOM Personal History (PH) Form or E-recruit Internal Candidate profile generated from PRISM Portal indicating the vacancy number and position title as mentioned in the vacancy notice he/she applied for in the email Subject line. Any application without this information in the subject line will be excluded from the applications.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed in Akhtaboot website.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the Akhtaboot website.
From 06 May 2018 to 17 May 2018